Monday, April 26, 2010

My experience at the MAGIC-BOBCATS game in CHARLOTTE!!!! by Ronald Carthen


I was so happy that me, my brother, my dad and his girlfriend, and two founders and writers of Blueprint N.E.W.S. went to Charlotte to watch the Game 3 of the Orlando Magic against the Charlotte Bobcats. Most of us sat at section 101 to watch the Bobcats first ever playoff game. I couldn't believe the ticket only cost $75 for that seat.

When the Bobcats ran to the court to warm up, I began to take pictures of some of the players, such as Gerald Wallace and Stephen Jackson. As I was heading back to my seat, I saw Kentucky head basketball coach John Calipari sitting in the same section as I we were. I couldn't believe the man that coached John Wall and Derrick Rose was here at the Time Warner Cable Arena. Then I came by to shake his hand and he said "Hey how are you?" I then asked him for an autograph at then he said "Sure if I had a pen he would give me one." I ran as fast as I could up the steps and begged my brother if he had a pen. When he gave me the pen, I ran with my game program and he signed the cover of the program. I then asked for a picture and he said sure. In case none of you would believe me, I chose this picture to prove I met the man. It was an experience I'll never forget and it was the highlight of the day.                      

For the second time of my life I saw Bobcats owner Michael Jordan at the game. I wasn't as star struck this time like I was in Wilmington, NC when the Cats played a scrimmage game. He was very animated on the bench and I know how much he would love to play if he could right now. It was great to be a lot closer players in the stands such as Robert Parrish, David Thompson, and Mugsy Bogues. I even saw Nelly walking down the court, since he does have share of the Bobcats.

There are a few things I learned throughout this entire game. One thing I learned is watching Magic point guard Jameer Nelson being defended by Raymond Felton, was like watching Jordan going up against Cleveland Cavaliers Craig Ehlo in the late 1980's. Jameer made his life miserable the entire game, better yet how about this entire series. He scored 32 points and had no turnovers in game three of this series. He's averaging 25.7 points and has only three turnovers in this entire series. It was insane how many times he was able to step back, drive in the lane for layups, and hit jumpers at will. I haven't seen him play this well since his senior year at St. Joseph's in Philadelphia.

Another thing I learned was the foul calls on Dwight Howard were outrageous. I don't know how many times you can call a man with so many love taps. I see why Dwight had a technical foul during the game. I did enjoy when I was sitting right there and he made the loudest and ferocious two-handed dunks I've ever seen in person. It's too bad I didn't much of him during the game, especially when he fouled out with three and a half minutes left in the game, but he's a lot bigger in person and I can see why he is dangerous in the paint.

I like when my brother said the Vince Carter went from "Half Man, Half Amazing to Half Man, Half Old." Vince has had a horrible series against the Cats. He's only averaging 13.7 points and only made 13 of 40 shots (32% shooting) in this series. All I see him do is shoot three-pointers, and tries to lay it in. I miss the Vinsanity that would dunk on people and hurt their feelings.

What made the Bobcats fans so upset was towards the end of the game. Without Dwight on the court for the Magic, the Cats should have taken full advantage of this situation. The Cats were down 85-84 with 31 seconds left to play. With much time for Stephen Jackson to shoot the ball, he decides to catch and shoot it rather then wait for the clock to wind down and missed the shot. When Vince made two free throws after he was fouled, the Cats were down by three. Little did we know that Raymond Felton would come in and try to go for an easy two, rather then wait for the clock to go down. Felton would miss it and that caused the Cats a win.

The game was great and I wouldn't trade this day for nothing. I promise we will never sit in a nose-bleed section ever again.                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog