Friday, April 23, 2010

Tribute to Dorothy Height!!!! by Antonio McKoy


“Greatness is not measured by what a man or woman accomplishes, but by the opposition he or she has overcome to reach his goals.”
“We have to improve life, not just for those who have the most skills and those who know how to manipulate the system. But also for and with those who often have so much to give but never get the opportunity.”
~ Dorothy Height                                                                            
On April 20, 2010 we lost one of the principle players of the Civil Rights Movement.  And while it is easy to look back at her accomplishments and all that she fought for in order for us to be in the position we are in today, more importantly we should draw inspiration from her work and why she carried the torch.
Personally, when I see those who have long carried the torch for the African American community I can’t help but pause and reflect.  Not on their accomplishments, or my own accomplishments or desires but I often ask myself do I have the same strength and determination to work and fight to overcome as they have in their life, do I have what it takes to give of myself entirely, looking for nothing in return but to see my community improved, to see the road paved for those who have yet to come? I can only hope and pray that when my time on the earth has come to an end I can inspire such questions by the next generation, but not only that, I hope that I can inspire someone to pick up that torch just as Dorothy Height and all of those who have gone on before her have inspired me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog